In October 1833 the Governor of New South Wales, Richard Bourke, advised that he had approved the plan for the 'Township of Paterson', and now invited applications for 'Building Allotments'. The land for the township had initially been granted to Susannah Ward in 1823 as part of her Cintra estate. After several settlers pressed the Governor to release part of her grant for a township, Susannah eventually agreed to give up 90 acres, including river frontage for a public wharf, in exchange for land in Sydney.
By 1835 a courthouse and government lockup had been built in the new town and the government administration of the district moved from Old Banks at Patersons Plains to Paterson itself.
In 1840 James Phillips subdivided 100 allotments from the north east portion of his Bona Vista estate and put them up for auction. These allotments adjoined the new township and now form the southern part of the village of Paterson.
Things to Do.....
A walking tour of Historic Paterson - Ask at Paterson Businesses
CBC Bed and Breakfast and Cafe
Rail Motor Museum
The Paterson Courthouse Museum
The Paterson Tavern
The Paterson Golf Course
Tocal Agricultural College
Tucker Park for a picnic
Tocal Field Days - First Sunday in May
Paterson News Year Eve
Classic Car Day - September
Tourist Information sign
Visitor Information Centres
Maitland, Dungog, Singleton, Gloucester